4.04.2008

Phoenix Rising

When I say that I have been busy, I have been EXTREMELY BUSY. You would think that the week would have gone by fast then the slow assed pace that it actually went. I am so over some people, both near and far. I think it's just the first signs of Spring fever. I'm tired of the cold weather that we continue to experience. We get one warm day out of the week and then it goes back to being a frozen tundra. I wish someone would remind Mother Nature what time of year it is and to get off her ass and push some continuous 60-70 degree weather this way damnit.

In an effort to get myself in gear for the summer I went and got my second of 3 tattoo's a couple weeks ago. It was a long a tedious process, almost a couple of years in the making. I mean, you don't want to just put anything that will permanent on your body. I had to decide on the right design of what I wanted, and I had it narrowed down to 3, but still couldn't decide for a long time, not to mention the exact location of the tat. I know that there would be pain no matter where I got it, but I also knew that some areas of the body are more sensitive then others.

I decided a long time ago that I wanted some sort of Phoenix design as my tattoo. And like I said before, deciding was a process that I had to endure. But finally decided on the picture shown, with the flames and all. Now some of you may be wondering what a Phoenix is and represents. A Phoenix is actually a mythical and sacred bird that would live for hundreds of years and when it was ready to die, it would build a nest of spices and then ignite itself on fire. Out of those ashes, a new Phoenix would be born. A symbol of fire and divinity, but also growth and rebirth. Things that I can relate to as my life has gone thru many stages and I finally think that it's on the right track. But through it all I have persevered to make me a better person.


Speaking of things that have persevered, today marks the 40th Anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Although I wouldn't be born for another 11 years, I can't help but feel like so many others, that it really wasn't that much time in between the time where he was fighting for our rights until we came along. But if it wasn't for people like himself, we could be living in a totally different world then we do now. I mean, anyone would agree that it's far from perfect, and unfortunately we still have a LONG way to go before things can possibly come into fruition, it actually could be a whole lot worse. But on a higher note, if it wasn't for Dr. King and his Dream, we wouldn't be on the verge of possibly electing the first African American president. No matter what the outcome of this political race may be, it's a historical moment in all of our lives that give just a little spark of hope.

Until next time.

4 comments:

j_shanlin said...

lol! soooo glad you wrote again! I thought I was going to have to send you a threatening email! I'm glad to see you're ok though. I'm really excited about the tat too! You may have written this, but maybe I wasn't paying attention, but where on your body did you get it? I didn't know that about the phoenix.... Are you coming to the reunion in 2 weeks??

life said...

you decided to grace us. At one point I really wanted a tat, but now not so much

D.LavarJames said...

Oh yeah, J, I forgot to say where I got it. I got the tat on the side of my stomach where the V is. Can I tell u it hurt like a mofo!!! But can't wait to get my next one, LOL

I'm actually not going to make it, I will prolly be out of town, =(

Life, u should get one, even if its small, but tats aren't for everybody.

BuddahDesmond said...

I can understand the busy part. It seems as if there's an unending quality to being busy. That's why I only post twice a month. If I can make it to a post a week, I'll be doing good. Cause a post each day or three times a week - it's not possible. LOL!

I like the design of Phoenix that you chose for the tattoo. Though painful, I'm sure that it came out very well. I think it's really good when you pick tattoos that are symbolic of a period in your life or transformation you've made. Something with meaning. Since it is permanent, you'd want it to be something that when you look at it several years down the line you won't be ashamed, disgusted, or downright pissed off about it.

Yes, I agree with you about King as well. Without his contributions and achievements, our society, our country, our world would be a much different place. Though, it's better than it once was - it's nowhere near where it should or could be. We've still got a lot of work to do. And the link to the current presidential election and King's achievements is undeniable. It's such a historical time with implications that could benefit not only our society but the world. I'm scared and hopeful all the same time. But I also have to agree with Alice Walker in that Obama is such an extraordinary being. He's not perfect, but he's stunning. If he wasn't, he would not have made it this far. He give us hope and makes us very proud (especially if you are Black, or any other minority for that matter).

Have a great weekend!