7.22.2008

And the Card Attached Would Say......

........thank you for being a friend!!!

That's just one of the lines that I used to sing every Saturday night when I was a kid, and still sing today when I hear the theme song from one of my ALL time favorite shows. Before there was Sex and the City, these four gals were the ultimate Sex. The Golden Girls is still one of those shows, that although I have seen EVERY single episode, I can still laugh my ass off. Whether it be southern belle and over-sexed Blanche Devereaux talking about one of her many escapades with some gentleman caller; Rose Nylund the ditsy innocent one talking about the crazy things that she did as a kid and the many townspeople of St Olaf that sounded more like an amusement park then an actual town; to even the straight and narrow Dorothy Zbornak that could never catch a break with the men, but kept everyone in check. How ironic that it was her and not Blanche that actually got married in the series finale. But I will have to say that out of the three of them, no one and I mean no one could deliver such witty lines and had a toungue like a whip, than Dorothy's mother: Sophia Petrillo.

Played by Estelle Getty, Sophia was one to cross that was for sure. Whether she was calling Blanche a slut, Rose an idiot, or tellin Dorothy about her flaws, she never eased up. And that's how she showed her love for each one of them. There were times where she wore her heart on her sleeve, but then the quick witted money schemer would come to the surface. We all know it was a front, but we couldn't help but laugh at the fact that she didn't take crap and she sure dished it out.

I was sad to hear that Ms. Getty passed away today, but Sophia will always live on in reruns of the Golden Girls that have actually gotten more popular since the series first aired, 20 years ago. As I stated before there are so many times when I have watched an episode of these ladies and although I know what's about to happen I still laugh and enjoy it as if it was the very first time.

Estelle, you will be missed. Keep em' laughin!

BTW Check these out:



and of course, the famous condom skit:

6 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

Isn't this just horrible? I'm going to spend the weekend watching my Golden Girls DVD's.

Unknown said...

I am absolutely the biggest fan of The Golden Girls...I think they mirror the friendships I presently have with my friends...I can't say we didn't appropriate some of that communicative, hysterical behavior from these great women.

yet another black guy said...

that show is a true classic and the women will always be loved for them. Wasn't she the youngest of them all?

Nobody not really... said...

Is this thing on? I mean, yeah I haven't posted a comment here in months, but, er...

yet another black guy said...

Dude are you alive or what?!

Unknown said...

I love that show! I'll miss Sophia! One of the best shows ever!